Tuesday, March 1, 2011

2.28.11 Standard Pauper Tournament @TOBS

Here we go again. Another pauper standard event, another deck to break. This week, we take a look at mono white, specifically White Weenie, one of my favorite deck archtypes in magic history. Let's take a glance at the decklist, and I'll go over some of my choices:

White Weenie

Creatures:
4 Soul's Attendant
4 Glint Hawk
4 Perilous Myr
4 Kor Skyfisher
4 Leonin Skyhunter
3 Kemba Skyguard

Spells:
4 Flayer Husk
4 Journey to Nowhere
4 Repel the Darkness
3 Excommunicate
2 Sylvok Lifestaff

Land:
20 Plains


Sideboard:
4 Accorder's Shield
4 Soul Parry
4 Kor Hookmaster
3 Inspired Charge

When I looked at white's card pool, and noticed about 12 different playable creatures, it was hard (at first) to build a creature base, but when I noticed the solid amount of fliers, it built itself. Flayer Husk plays very well with Kor Skyfisher and Glint Hawk, and Soul's Attendant helps you survive the ground rush from decks like Boros. Excommunicate is an early game Time Walk, and a late game finisher, which I'll go into more detail with later. Repel the Darkness is absolutely outrageous. Isolate any flying blockers and/or huge threats like 7/7 Plated Geopedes, 10/10 Aura Gnarlids,  or 8/8 Ullamog's Crushers, buying you more time to finish. Perilous Myr is quickly becoming a 4-of in every deck, and Journey to Nowhere and Sylvok Lifestaff are pretty much self explanatory.

As for the board, the Accorder's Shields are for the mirror, or against any really aggressive deck that I feel I can't outrace, not to mention they provide immense synergy for Glint Hawk and help to keep from losing momentum with Kor Skyfisher. Kor Hookmasters are for control matches that typically house 1 flier, Kor Skyfisher. Two turns without a blocker in the air and you're more or less boned against this deck. Inspired Charge is for any match against a slower control that I don't think will have much in the way of blockers. Soul Parry is more tech against aggro decks, and it singlehandedly chews up and spits out Boros.


Monday, February 28th, 2011
Standard Pauper Tournament @ TOBS

Round 1: Shawn, B/u Infect

Game 1: My opening hand is a little rough, 2 Flayer Husk, Sylvok Lifestaff, Soul's Attendant, 3 Plains. I keep for the sheer fact that I have no idea what he's playing, and my hand looks fast enough to put pressure. He starts dropping infect guys but can't really get them through. He's counters most of my fliers, proliferates a bit with Regress, Fuel for the Cause, and Tumble Magnets slow me down, but now for long enough, and a Skyfisher with 3 equipment goes to the dome for the win.

-1 Sylvok Lifestaff -3 Repel the Darkness +4 Soul Parry

Game 2: Only have 1 Plains early out, I journey his Ichorclaw Myr. I see all 4 Soul Parry, which turned out useless, though I still think it's worth the board slot, and a couple Leonin Skyhunters mop up once he runs out of steam.

1-0

Round 2: Chris, B/W Ally Mill (I loaned Chris this deck, and almost regretted it lol)

Game 1: I smash face with dudes. It was all me. He saw ZERO fliers, ZERO Ondu Clerics.

no board

Game 2: I can't outrace then engine, and once he has 2 Ondu Clerics online, accompanied by a Halimar Excavator and a wildly out of control Umara Raptor, I get milled out. His life total at the lowest this game was 2. He ended at 80+.

-3 Excommunicate +3 Inspired Charge

Game 3: I know I have to outrace him this game, and I mull for the Inspired Charge. Just as I though, I'm able to get him low enough, and once he drops the Ondu Cleric, I Journey it, and turn everything sideways with an Inspired Charge for the Match.

2-0

Round 3: Scott, Grixis Control

Game 1: I don't see too much action, but the few creatures I do get just outnumber his removal, my Journeys take out the only threats he ever drops, and my little winged champions come across for just enough points.

-3 Repel the Darkness +3 Inspired Charge

Game 2: Seeing that Inspired Charge was MVP last game, I go with the same game plan. He turn 1's a Golden Urn. We both laugh, along with the few people watching the match, but little did we know that the lowly Golden Urn would be cracked 18 turns later to reset his life total. Frustrating, sure, but after a long game, and moments with a hand size of zero, I build up a small tactical force, Excommunicate his freshly dropped Ullamog's Crusher, and Inspired Charge for the finisher.

3-0

What I was able to glimpse after matches, deckwise:

B/U Mill (no ally engine)
U/W Ally Mill
Boros
B/u Infect
Metalcraft Golem Foundry <---I still want to see Foundry churn out some beefy dudes.
Grixis Control


A special thanks goes out to the people supporting paper pauper here in Jacksonville, and of course Jaxcardsingles.com, who hosts every week. Check them out online, they have pretty reasonable prices, a huge card selection, and deliver pretty much anywhere.

All in all, I was impressed with the sheer speed of this build. I loved the Skyfisher/Husk, GHawk/Husk synergy, and 2mana 2power fliers melt face apparently. Still, I know one of the main questions (probably the only question) I'll get is 'WHERE ARE THE EFFIN' BRO HAWKS?!?!?!'. But the answer is simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment